Andreas Tsatsaris is a Rural and Surveying Engineer (PhD, MSc, BSc), Professor in the Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics Engineering of the University of West Attica (UniWA), twice elected Head of the Department for the periods 2019-2021 and 2021-2023, repeatedly elected Director of the Research Laboratory “GAEA”, repeatedly elected Director of the Academic Sector of Geoinformatics and Land Management. His doctoral dissertation focuses on Applications of Geoinformatics to Spatial Epidemiology (in particular the dispersal of zoonoses in Greece). In UniWA he has been teaching since 1996 Geographic Information Systems and Science, Spatial Decision Support Systems and Thematic Cartography.
He teaches GIS as a Visiting Professor at the Department of Regional Administration and the Institute of Training of the National School of Public Administration since 1999.
He teaches Spatial Epidemiology at Postgraduate Study Programs of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Crete, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Athens National and Kapodistrian University and the Department of Geography of the University of Harokopio since 2009, while since 2014 he teaches GIS and Geospatial Analysis Methodologies at Postgraduate Study Programs of UniWA Departments.
He is a Research Fellow of the Laboratory of Clinical Microbiology and Microbial Pathogenesis (formerly the Laboratory of Clinical Bacteriology, Parasitology, Zoonoses, and Geographic Medicine) since 2004, as well as, of the Laboratory of Microbiology at the Universities of Crete and Thessaloniki respectively, on Spatial Databases for Diseases Distribution studies since 2012.
He is also an approved researcher at the Ministry of Culture and a scientific adviser to the Arcadia and Kefallinia Ephorates on Geoinformatics and Cartography applications in Archeology with over a decade’s worth of work.
He has published more than 110 articles in prestigious scientific journals and international and national conferences, with several international references in his work. She has participated in national and international research programs (> 30).
He supervises 7 doctoral theses. He was a member of the Three-member Scientific Committee in two others which are completed, and he has supervised more than 150 undergraduate and postgraduate theses.
He is a reviewer in 19 scientific journals of his scientific specialization, Guest Editor in three of them, and a certified evaluator of State Scholarship Foundation and General Secretariat in Research and Technology in the evaluation of research proposals.
He has also served as a technical consultant for large technical companies in the country on projects related to the development of Geographic Information Systems applications in various fields.
He is a member of the Organizations: Vector-Borne Disease Network (VBorNet), ECDC, Center for Spatially Integrated Social Sciences of the USA, of the Cartographic Scientific Society of Greece and a founding member of the Hellenic Society of Geographic Information Systems, where he was elected President from 2006-2008.
LATEST (5 Year) MAJOR PUBLICATIONS
- Tsesmelis, D., Karavitis, Ch. A., Kalogeropoulos, K., Zervas, E., Vasilakou, C., Skondras, N., Oikonomou, P., Stathopoulos N., Alexandris, S., G., Tsatsaris A., and Kosmas, 2022. C. Evaluating the Degradation of Natural Resources in the Mediterranean Environment Using the Water and Land Resources Degradation Index, the Case of Crete Island. Atmosphere, 2022, 13(1), 135; (impact factor 2,686) https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos13010135
- Apostolidis, V., Kalogeropoulos, K., Stathopoulos, N., Tsesmelis, D.E., Kalantzi, E., Kokkinakis, G.G., Tsatsaris, A., 2021. Mapping student performance towards higher education. International Journal of Arts, Humanities and Social Studies, 3; (6); p.p. 54-59, https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5773941
- Tsesmelis, D.E, Karavitis, Chr.A, Kalogeropoulos, K., Tsatsaris, A., Zervas, A., Vasilakou, C.G., Stathopoulos, N. Skondras, N.A, Alexandris, G.S, Chalkias, Chr., Kosmas, C., 2021. Development and Application of Water and Land Resources Degradation Index (WLDI). EARTH, 2, 515–531. https://doi.org/10.3390/earth2030030
- Stamellou, Ε., Kalogeropoulos, Κ., Stathopoulos, N., Tsesmelis, D.E., Louka, P., Apostolidis, V., Tsatsaris, A., 2021. A GIS-Cellular Automata-based model for coupling urban sprawl and flood hazard assessment. Hydrology 2021, 8(4), 159; (impact factor 3,400) https://doi.org/10.3390/hydrology8040159
- Tsatsaris, A., et.al., 2021. Geoinformation Technologies in Support of Environmental Hazards Monitoring under Climate Change: An Extensive Review. International Journal of Geo-Information (Impact Factor 2,899), Volume 10 Issue 2 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi10020094.
- Pergantas, P., Papanikolaou, N., Malesios, C., Tsatsaris, A., Kondakis, M., Perganta, I., Tselentis, Y., Demiris N. 2021, Towards a Semi-Automatic Early Warning System for Vector-Borne Diseases, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (4), (Impact Factor 3,390) https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18041823,
- Polykretis, C., Kalogeropoulos, K., Andreopoulos, P., Faka,A., Tsatsaris, A., and Chalkias, C., 2019. Com-parison of Statistical Analysis Models for Susceptibility Assessment of Earthquake-Triggered Landslides: A Case Study from 2015 Earthquake in Lefkada Island. Geosciences, Natural Hazards (Impact Factor 1,82). https://doi.org/10.3390/, geosciences9080350
- Kalogeropoulos K., Stathopoulos N., Tsatsaris A., & Chalkias Ch, 2019. A survey of the Geoinformatics use for census purposes and the INSPIRE maturity within Statistical Institutes of EU and EFTA countries. Annals of GIS, Vol. 25 (1), pages 1-12, Taylor & Francis, Print ISSN: 1947-5683 Online ISSN: 1947-5691. https://doi.org/10.1080/19475683.2019.1595724, (Impact Factor -).
- Dilalos, S., Alexopoulos J.D., Tsatsaris, A., 2018. Calculation of building Correction for urban gravity sur-veys. A case study of Athens metropolis (Greece). Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 159, December 2018, Pages 540-552, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jappgeo.2018.09.036, (Impact Factor 1,649).
- Iliopoulou, P, Tsatsaris, A, Katsios, I, Panagiotopoulou, A, Romaliades, S, Papadopoulos, B, Tselentis, Y, 2018. Risk Mapping of Visceral Leishmaniasis: A Spatial Regression Model for Attica Region, Greece. Tropi-cal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, 3 (3), 83, https://doi.org/10.3390/tropicalmed3030083, (Impact Factor-)
- Boukouvalas, L, Grigorakakis, G, Tsatsaris A, 2018. Cultural Routes in Kynouria of Arcadia: Geospatial Database Design and Software Development for Web Mapping of the Spatio-Historical Information. Herit-age 1(1), 142-162; https://doi.org/10.3390/heritage1010010, (Impact Factor -).
- Fouskis, J, Sandalakis V, Cristidou, A, Tsatsaris, A, Tzanakis, N, Tselentis, Y, Psaroulaki, A, 2018. The epidemiology of Brucellosis in Greece, 2007-2012: A “One Health” approach. Transactions of the Royal So-ciety of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Published: 2018 Apr 26. https://doi.org/10.1093/trstmh/try031, (Impact Factor 2,279)
- Pergantas, P, Tsatsaris, A, Malesios, C, Kriparakou, G, Demiris, N, Tselentis Y., 2017. A Spatial Predictive Model for Malaria Resurgence in Central Greece Integrating Entomo-logical, Environmental, and Social Da-ta. PlosOne Published: June 29, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178836, (Impact Factor 3,057)
- Tsatsaris, Α., Chochlakis, D., Papadopoulos, B., Petsa, K., Georgalis, L., Angelakis, Em., Ioannou, I., Tselentis Y., Psaroulaki, A., 2016. Species composition, distribution, ecological preference and host association of ticks in Cyprus, Exp Appl Acarol, Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10493-016-0091-9, (Impact Factor 1,760)
- Papa, A, Sidira, P, Tsatsaris, A, 2016. Spatial cluster analysis of Crimean-Congo hemor-rhagic fever virus seroprevalence in humans, Greece. Parasite Epidemiology and Control, VOL.1 ISSUE 3, pp. 211-218 ISSN: 2405-6731, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parepi.2016.08.002, (Impact Factor -)
- Papa, A., Chaligiannis, I., Kontana, N., Sourba, T., Tsioka, A., Tsatsaris A., Sotiraki, S.: A novel AP92-like Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever virus strain, Greece. Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases 06/2014; 5(5)., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ttbdis.2014.04.008, (Impact Factor 3,230)
- Papa, A, Sidira, P, Kallia, S, Ntouska, M, Zotos, N, Doumbali, E, Maltezou, C, H, Demiris, Ν, Tsatsaris, A, 2013, Factors associated with IgG positivity to Crimean-Congo hemor-rhagic fever virus in the area with the highest seroprevalence in Greece, Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases, ISSN: 1877-959X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ttbdis.2013.04.003, (Impact Factor 3,230)